Democracy Collaborative Job Opening
Senior Associate, Advisory Services
Location: Dupont Circle area of Washington, D.C.
Desired Start Date: late July/early August 2018
About the Position
The Democracy Collaborative (TDC) is a national research and action institute dedicated to creating a more democratic economy. We develop innovative models and pathways that engage institutions and catalyze networks to build community wealth and drive systemic change.
Community wealth building is a systems approach to economic development that creates an inclusive, sustainable economy built on locally rooted and broadly held ownership. Our Advisory Services team serves as TDC’s in-house consulting firm and works across the country with groups of diverse stakeholders to catalyze, incubate, and accelerate local cross-sector, place-based programs that build community wealth.
The Senior Associate will join a dynamic team in which initiative is appreciated and supported, and a high volume of communication and collaboration is expected, especially concerning project management, production, budgets and timelines. After some experience with the Democracy Collaborative and demonstration of successful performance, the Senior Associate may assume greater discretionary leadership for specific initiatives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Associate will have the following general duties and responsibilities, as well as other duties that may arise based on the demands of specific projects and project deliverables:
· Design and facilitate engaging and dynamic meetings, workshops and webinars
· Facilitate collaboration between diverse sets of stakeholders
· Assist the Manager of Advisory Services in tracking project deliverables and activities along with associated costs and timeframes for purposes of accountability to internal and external stakeholders, including funders and clients
· Contribute to reports, shorter research briefs and blogs, presentation materials, and other communications
· Plan and manage high profile events (large and small), including budgeting, creating agendas, handling logistics, directing content, and managing key external relationships (at both staff and leadership levels)
· Perform qualitative and quantitative research for advisory and other projects, such as interviews, focus groups, and data analysis
· Represent our work and build meaningful long-term relationships with individuals from a wide variety of external stakeholders, including government, C-suite business leaders and institutional, nonprofit and social service agencies, banks and credit unions, philanthropies, and neighborhood or community organizing groups
· Ability to travel 5 - 6 times per year in support of project related events
Desired qualifications include:
· Design-thinking mind-set
· Comfort level with working through key aspects of a program or product design process in a fast-paced workshop environment, balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders, imagining and implementing a common way forward
· Eagerness and enthusiasm for over-communication and collaborative problem-solving
· Highly organized with an attention to detail, especially with regards to dates, time and schedules
· Experience with event planning and logistics coordination
· Comfortable with engaging multiple stakeholders at different levels and tailoring messaging to specific audiences
· A passion for influencing the influencers and bringing people together to affect change
· Direct experience with developing and implementing effective cross-sector collaborations
· Ability to relate in meaningfully and quickly build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, including the habit of active listening
· Mature interpersonal skills and strong executive presence
· Business planning, business and industry research, financial literacy, and basic marketing knowledge
· Demonstrated ability to work on high-functioning teams and move seamlessly between leading and following, including respectful collaboration and communication with lateral teammates as well as leadership
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for mission-oriented work
· Must be interested in, familiar with, and enthusiastic for transformative community economic development and the work of The Democracy Collaborative
A Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of relevant work experience is required (e.g., community development, social enterprise/business development, planning and development). Master of Business Administration or related degree preferred but not required. A strong commitment to social and economic justice is required.
The Democracy Collaborative is an Equal Opportunity Employer—people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Job includes a generous benefits package including health care, three weeks of paid vacation per year, and an employer contribution to a 403(b) retirement plan.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Send résumé/CV with references, a detailed cover letter regarding your interest in and desire to make a contribution to the kind of work being done by The Democracy Collaborative, and a relevant short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Advisory Services” in the subject line.